"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Tuesday 18 February 2014

Time To Get Out The Reflective Gear!

My morning runs are getting darker and darker. It is time to get out the reflective gear. Good news for all my northern hemisphere friends :)


I am very safety aware and reflective gear is a standard part of my running gear. It seems so obvious and like plain old common sense to me but I am amazed at how often I see runners without reflective gear running in the dark. For some reason it is also the runners with the black and other dark colour outfits that don't wear reflective gear.

Be seen outh there!

So let's make this a two part message:

1 - Morning and evening runs are getting darker and darker in my part of the world as winter slowly approach us. Be safe and wear proper reflective gear.

2 - Summer is slowly approaching the northern part of our planet. May all my northern hemisphere friends be motivated by this awesome news!

Run strong and be safe my friends!

11 comments:

Liz said...

Speaking from the northern hemisphere, summer still seems a very long way away! It is definitely getting lighter though, and I'm looking forward to some sunny early morning runs. Enjoy your running!

Michael said...

I don't think you could be missed in that gear!

I just saw yesterday that we are only like 22 days til time changes again and we gain our hour back!! I couldn't be more excited. Every day we inch closer and closer to Spring/Summer here!!

Lauren said...

Lots of runners out here run without reflective gear, AND they wear black. Go figure. I'm guessing that they think we can see them because they can see us. I have been surprised so many times by runners and walkers suddenly appearing right next to my car! Scary. I'm so happy that our days are getting longer here. Be safe running in the dark -- I know you will. :)

One Crazy Penguin said...

I am so excited to be able to start running when the sun is still shining. Counting down the days!

I have a great light up vest thing that I use and LOVE. Cars give me so much more space!

Robin said...

I'm alays amazed when I see some people out running in dark coloured sweats with no reflective parts as well. Crazy. I am glad that you are getting darker....cuz that means it's getting lighter here.... :)

KovasP said...

Reflective is good. Turns out neon is no better than black in the dark. Who would have guessed?

Kate Geisen said...

I'm one of those no reflective gear/dressed in black/would-be ninjas. It's not on purpose (the all black thing, I mean)...it's just that 90% of my running gear is black.

In my semi-defense, I'll say that my night runs are late/early enough that cars need headlights, that I always run facing traffic and primarily on sidewalks...and that this "night running" of which I speak is largely theoretical these days.

Char said...

I was just thinking how dark it was getting in the mornings now when I got up for this morning's run. It's starting to feel like summer will one day end - thank goodness.

misszippy said...

Yes, that is good news for us, although bad news for you! But no one will miss you with that gear on!

Jill said...

I almost threw a party last week when I saw it was 5pm and there was still a bit of light outside!!!!

I bet you can been seen from outer space! :)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You're going to be seen when you're dressed like that! That's great. I worry about runners when I can barely see them in the dark.