"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Thursday 13 June 2013

I'm a morning runner

Blogathon post 13/30


I’ve always been a morning runner and can’t see myself ever changing that. Since I can remember my dad always ran early in the morning. When I was at school and university he used to tip me out of my bed somewhere between 4 and 5 AM every morning. I was not amused but it seems to have stuck with me and I still get up between 3:30 and 4:30 AM for my morning run.


The best part of it is how great I feel afterwards. The whole day is so much better if started with a morning run. The knowledge that I’ve done my training for the day is always motivating. Nothing can happen during the day that can interfere with my training.


I must add to this that I am also lucky to live in Johannesburg. This means I can run outside throughout the year, including winter. We do have very cold mornings with temperatures dropping below freezing, but it is still very manageable. If you dress warm enough winter morning runs are really pleasant.


So I’m a morning runner for life. It is in my blood in the same way that running is. Without it my life is missing something.



When do you prefer to do your running?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I prefer morning running, but not THAT early!

Diana said...

I definitely agree. Morning is best; however, I also love to write first thing in the morning. I'm usually up at 4:30 AM writing my thoughts, so I save the run until 7:00. Problem is, the only time I get to run early is on the weekends, and during the months of June and July (teacher).

ajh said...

I hugely prefer morning but that doesn't seem to happen during the school year. But now it is summer!!

coach dion said...

Was up at 05h00 to run in the wet and rain of a Cape Town winter... But I only run on a Friday morning as I also coach at UCT and have to be there in the evening...

Char said...

You make me want to get up early and run. Just as well tomorrow's a long run-early start day.

Love seeing the sun get up in the morning. It's the most magical time of day.

Staci said...

I am with you on the morning runs Johann. I am currently doing bootcamp at 5:30 and even tho it was -1 degree on Tuesday, I loved it. I feel energised for the day and certainly arrive at work much more awake than if I have slept in until 6am.

ultra collie said...

couldnt agree more johann..just you and the world of nature.my only problem is that i cant stay awake after 9pm (but is that a problem?!?)