"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Are you strong enough?

I recently got my hands on the book “Extreme Running” when Natalia posted it to me from Cape Town. She is from Boston and visited her family here in South Africa and was so kind to bring me the book from the USA. Thanks again Natalia!

extremerunning 

I love the book because it covers some of the most extreme races out there and I’ve been following most of these races for many years. I mentioned to a friend of mine that the book made my bucket list a little longer.

He was a bit stunned and asked if I would actually attempt those races. I’m not keen on doing all of the races in the book, but there are a few I would really like to do if it was ever possible. I told him which one’s I would really like to do and it was then that he asked me: “are you strong enough?

I wasn’t very happy about his question but I knew it came from his knowledge that I had the toe problem at Comrades. My answer was a very simple “yes, I’m strong enough.” I’ve been thinking about this question since then and I must admit I really do think I’m strong enough. With the correct training and preparation these races are certainly doable.

I think it is necessary for all of us to believe we are strong enough. It doesn’t matter what for,  as long as you believe you are strong enough to do it you will.

So my message today: believe in yourself, you are strong enough! Run strong everyone!

27 comments:

Karen said...

If any of us are strong enough, you certainly are!

Jill said...

You are one of the most physically, and mentally, strongest people I know. I am certain you can run anything...even the Leadville 100, so get your butt out here and let's get you across that finish line (or maybe Pikes Peak Marathon :)).

Robin said...

Definitely would love to follow you through one of these events! Awesome...definitely strong enough!

Indi said...

Amen to that Mantra!! Love it!

Marlene said...

I can only imagine the challenges that lie within those pages! But OF COURSE you are strong enough. Great post!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I like the Jungle one. Absolutely crazy!!!!

Mike said...

Johann...with your Ultrarunning history...if anyone is strong enough, you certainly are!!

ajh said...

You ARE strong enough. Good post. Looks like a perfect book for you.

Jennifer said...

I am strong enough, and if I am not 100% all the time I know I can always get there.

I have that same book. Love it. Have read it through several times, marking the races I dream about with sticky notes. A friend saw it once and asked about the sticky notes, so I explained. Got kind of a similar answer, "You could do those?" I said, "Yes. Of course I can."

Great post Johann.

Giorgio said...

Of course, you can run these races! I think you have enough concentration and strenght.
Train hard Johann!

Post scriptum: two years ago an Italian running girl, who live in my town (Giulia, that's her name), ran one of these races. It was a race across the Sahara desert. She wore the wrong socks and had problem with the sand which cut the skin!

Molly said...

I totally think you're strong enough! And I agree with your message wholeheartedly!

Char said...

It's really all about mental strength and self-belief. Just dreaming that you can do it is the start and I've no doubt that you can - time and finances permitting.

Richelle said...

Amen!

Erika said...

this is just the post I needed to read today after the post I just made!!! thanks!

The Green Girl said...

believe in yourself, you are strong enough!

Thank you, Johann. That was exactly what I needed to hear.

Amy said...

If anyone can do it, you can! But I have to know - is the Marathon des Sables on your list???

Laura said...

you ARE strong enough! Great mantra...for any day.

Unknown said...

Totally agree.... The mind is a powerful thing!
Gotta run.

HappyTrails said...

Don't think there is much doubt as to your well of strength Johann - Comrades was an injury aberration, not an indication of your abilities. Glad you are back at it!!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel said...

This'll be my last time reading blogs for a couple weeks, and what a fantastic message to take away! I'll have to check out the book when I return, too :)

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
There is no doubt in my mind that you could compete in one of these races! You are such a great athlete and strong ultra runner! I just happen to be one of your greatest fans! Looks like a great book!

ihaverun said...

I absolutely think you are strong enough. You are one of the most incredible runners I "know."

I think that message is the key to success in most things in life. You can do so much when you believe in yourself! I never would have gotten where I am as a runner if I didn't believe I could do it!

Daniel said...

Go for it!! Most if not all these races require mental toughness, so if you believe you can do it there will be success.

Which one(s) are you considering at the moment?

Cheers,

Daniel.
-------------------------------------------
Marathon training

My Marathon Blog

Runners Forum

Brett Martin said...

Anyone even wanting to try such running is awesome, and I am sure you know what you're getting into. I prefer road running but I am in awe of people who take on ultras and trail running!

Patrick Mahoney said...

Thanks for posting a great message...

Black Knight said...

You are strong enough, I am not!!!
A beautiful gift from Natalia.

Lauren said...

Of course you are strong enough! If someone would have said that to me, it would have been enough to push me over the edge into actually trying one of those races. I'm in fact afraid to read that book. I don't want to know about these races because next thing you know, I'll actually try one!

But you ARE STRONG ENOUGH. Sometimes though it's not strength that gets you through. Lots of things happen beyond our control : (