"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Friday 15 April 2011

2011 Slow Mag Marathon a No-Go for me!


I’ve been sick with a stomach bug since Tuesday and I’m still not well at all. I’ve taken the wise decision to skip my marathon this Sunday and rather rest and get the bug out of my system completely. So, Slow Mag Marathon 2011 is a no-go for me.

I’m a little sad about this but it doesn’t matter that much in the end. I’ll take the downtime as good rest for my legs before I do the Easter 100 next weekend. This is a 100km training run over 3 days. Friday 48km, Saturday 33km, Sunday 19km.

It is at times like this that I am so happy that I am a very dedicated runner that trains and runs more than the average that is required. It is when something happens and I have to miss some runs that this becomes important, because now it doesn’t matter that I miss a marathon or some long runs for a few days. I’ve done enough already.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Boston time in the US and here in SA it is the Loskop 50km and the Slow Mag Marathon where many of my friends will be in action. Go strong everyone!

35 comments:

Ewa said...

Take good care of yourself, Johann and rest well.
Hope you can enjoy your weekend despite your stomach bug.

KovasP said...

Speedy recovery to you!

Teamarcia said...

Sorry about the bug. Hope you feel better soon!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

You have done MORE than enough!!! Get better! Good luck Easter weekend.

Anne said...

Stomach bugs are not fun...feel better soon Johann.

Jennifer said...

Get rest Johann and keep the liquids coming. A wise choice and you will be better for it. Cheers!

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel said...

Sounds like a wise decision for this weekend. Hope you're on the mend soon!

Christi said...

Feel better real soon!

Indi said...

Bummer :( But maybe for the best for next weekend!! Hope you feel better soon.

Unknown said...

A good decision Johann. I hope you are feeling much better soon!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

That sucks, I hope you get better soon

Lauren said...

Get well soon! Rest is definately the way to go.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Get well soon! Hard but wise decision. We've got to take good care of our bodies!

chris mcpeake said...

that sucks, get well soon

A Prelude To... said...

:-(
Take care of yourself!!

Mike said...

You've done your homework for the 100k....missing the marathon won't hurt. Get well soon!

Karen said...

Bummer - hope you feel better soon!

Marlene said...

Sorry that you're under the weather! Use this weekend to rest up and get well soon!

Black Knight said...

You took the right decision, rest well and get better soon.
I agree no matter if you miss a run, you have already run a lot of races and a lot of miles.
All the best.

Giorgio said...

I hope you'll feel better soon!

I'm missing some runs too. I'm not running the Rome's 13 km race this Sunday because I've a sore throat.

Have a good rest, Johann! Take care!

Quinton J said...

you are wise to make this call my friend...i know it's a tough one to make. there will be plenty of other races...you just get better soon.

Kate Geisen said...

Definitely sounds like the smart decision. Especially considering your training volume, no sense going out sick and taking even longer to recover. Hope you get feeling better soon!

Jill said...

I saw that on FB this morning - quick recovery to you, Johann!

Char said...

Yes, a very wise decision. Hope you're feeling better soon.

ajh said...

Sounds wise. Get well.

Shawn said...

sMART MOVE....iJUST PICKED UP A BUG TOO AND WILL TAKE THE WEEKEND OFF.

Hope you feel better soon...

Shawn said...

sMART MOVE....iJUST PICKED UP A BUG TOO AND WILL TAKE THE WEEKEND OFF.

Hope you feel better soon...

Jenn said...

Feel better soon!! Good luck with the Easter 100!!!!

HappyTrails said...

Get well soon Johann - you have plenty in the "training bank" to let a couple runs slip by!

Chris K said...

Um, Johann, you forgot to say good luck to all of those people who are running the La Jolla Half Marathon on Sunday. :-)

Sorry you had to miss this race. What? you are now down to running only 51 races this year. Slacker.

ultra collie said...

wise man
hope it clears soon

The Green Girl said...

Oh, no! Hope you feel better really soon, Johann. ::hugs::

Amy said...

Good decision and I hope you are feeling better soon!

Sherri said...

I'm sorry! I love your attitude!
I hope you feel better soon!

Lindsay said...

Sorry to hear you had to DNS but hope you are feeling better!