"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Monday 20 September 2010

Goals & Races

With my 50km mountain race something of the past and my recovery week also over, I now look to the next goal. This is the Nedbank 50km Circuit Race on 23 October. Before I give details about this race a quick note on my recovery after the mountain race.

I am happy to say I am 100% recovered! I ran 5km 3 times last week and 10km yesterday. The 10km was great and I didn’t feel the 50k in my legs or body at all. My feet were perfect after the race! I was so happy I even wrote a letter to New Balance to tell them how good these shoes were for me.

My trusty New Balance trail shoes.

I’ve had some inquiries about the Next Race and Next Goal countdown clocks on my sidebar. I have some goals I work for every year. This will be some big races or races that are important to me. As part of my training for these goals I do lots of runs in races. In these races I only look at achieving some training milestone, never any race/time goals. It is also a great way of doing some long runs.


So at the moment my next goal is the 50km circuit race. My next race is a run in a business relay where I’ll run 7km for my company. There are two more races after that before the next goal will be the next race as well.

The 50km circuit race is a road race on a 5km course. I’ll be running 10 x 5km during the race. It is at a school so part of the course will be in the school grounds with the rest in the roads around the school. I love circuit races and think they are great for mental strength.

Have a great week everyone! Happy training!

26 comments:

Giorgio said...

Hi Johann,
I'm glad to hear your recovery week went well. After Mont-Aux-Sources 50km you're planning another 50km Challenge. Of course, you won't change your New Balance trail shoes :)
Have a nice training for your next ordeal!

misszippy said...

Great that your legs are feeling good...I'm sure that's a combination of your high fitness level and doing the right things. Sounds like some good goals ahead of you--you'll nail it!

Andrew Opala said...

I like the idea of racing when it fits within your training schedule - if I decide to continue to run after my 5k on Saturday I'll do that!

KovasP said...

Nothing worse than a circuit to me, I always would rather run a loop or point to point. You have great mental fortitude to be able to do that. Good to hear your recovery week was a success.

Johan Stemmet said...

Glad you recoverd 100% and good luck with prep for next race.

Must get some Trail shoes and were looking at New Balance, glad you found them ok

Jennifer said...

Happy to hear about the 100%, that's terrific. I totally understand about the goals vs races. I have some races I do as a lead-in for a bigger more important race. It works well and keeps me on task. Cheers, have a great week!

Patrick Mahoney said...

I like the idea of a circuit. You are right mental toughness come to the participant. Great for spectators too!

Black Knight said...

Glad you recovered very well and that you have already a new race plan. The New Balance are good shoes!

Jill said...

Busy racing calendar - I like it :). Glad you are all recovered and good luck with your next race!!??

chris mcpeake said...

glad to hear that the recovery is going well. Good luck with your next race

Quinton J said...

Just don't tell New Balance that you've been known to disect running shoes...

racing dawn said...

I love recovery weeks! So good to hear you're back to 100%! I'm sure you're feeling great! Not sure I could handle a circuit race - mental toughness indeed!

Unknown said...

oh.my.gosh. 10 x 5K doesn't sound fun to me. Too repetitive.

Thomas Tan said...

Great news, glad that you're in 100% shape! Good luck and have a great race at Nedbank 50km Circuit Race! I look forward to hearing all about it.

ajh said...

I'm impressed with your recovery. Maybe New Balance will send you some new shoes!

Unknown said...

I've never heard of a circuit race, so interesting. I can see how it would help you mentally, I can't wait to hear how it went. GOOD luck, have a great week!

Heather said...

That is great that you are 100% recovered! that's always a good feeling.

Ewa said...

Is there anything special you do during your recovery weeks or is it just that you had trained so smart before the race?

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
Cheers to a quick recovery from the 50 K mountain race! Your body must be so conditioned that it can just bounce right back into shape:) Good luck with the upcoming race!

Natalia said...

Great news on the quick recovery! You really are super fit. You have a nice build-up period to the Nedbank race, so looking forward to see what you are up to during the next few weeks......

HappyTrails said...

Finding shoes that take good care of you on the trail is essential! Good luck on that upcoming race, too, Johann. It is interesting how your trail season ramps up in winter/spring and then you go road running. Is your summer too hot for trails?

Chris K said...

Wow, I think they used those shoes on the moon. They look highly technical.

Marlene said...

Hi Johann, thanks for all your comments recently. Sorry that I have not made it over to your blog until now. I have just become a follower so I look forward to following your raining!

Molly said...

so glad you're recovered! I don't know if I could do those loops over and over, you're right, it must be great for mental training!

zbsports said...

This is a very nice post, so informative and interesting. Thanks for sharing such a great post.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.igdf.mutilat.seo-linuxpl.com/1190-strona-Kalendarze]kalendarze[/url]