"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Tuesday 23 February 2010

How or when did you know you caught the running bug?

This post is in response to Christina's Running Question Challenge.

Question:
How or when did you know you caught the running bug?

Answer:
For me this was very long ago in 1981. My dad signed our whole family up for a race. He, my brother and I did a half marathon and my mom and two sisters a 10km. This was my first official road race. I was in grade 12, my last year at school. I went on to join my dad at more races and was hooked for life. I knew I caught the bug when I started feeling normal about getting out of bed at 4AM to run.

Since then I’ve run 1270 official road races. I hope to reach 2000 races one day. The 1270 is 175 x 10km, 245 x 15km, 378 x 21.1km(half marathons), 184 x 32km(20 milers), 121 x 42.2km (marathons), 111 x ultra marathons and 56 x non standard distances (9km, 16km, 20km, 25km, 30km). Most of these were done in the 1980’s and 90’s.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
I am glad that you caught that running bug:) I also have the running bug however, I do not feel like getting up at 4AM to run yet!! Ha ha, maybe some day!! Thanks for sharing:)

Running Through Life said...

Damn Johann that is a lot of races! I feel like such a beginner compared to your achievements. I think I caught the bug a few years back after running my first 5K for the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

Miguel said...

wow - amazing number of races and amazing that you kept track of them. I hope to start running ultras this year.

ajh said...

That is a huge number of races. How many do you usually do in a year? I remember when I hit 100. 20 in a year is a lot for me. I hope to do 22 or so this year.

Christina said...

Holy Moly Batman that is a lot of races. How do you keep track of them? I checked and I've done 29 in 4 years. I better get a move on to catch up to you.

Coachdave said...

Sixth year of the 1000 km challenge, done several ultra marathons, up every day at 04:30, think I must have it too !!!