"I'd rather be seen on my bicycle than on a park run" - Quote from the dark side

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Happy Birthday Dad! 3 February 2010 - 80 and counting

I’ve mentioned my dad and the influence he had and still have on my running a few times on this blog. Well, today is his 80th birthday and I though it well to dedicate a short post to him. So dad, this is for you, for an amazing 80 years, lived by an amazing man. Cheers dad!!!

A few pics of the man himself:

At 80 still ready for a good wine anytime!


Running his 1st marathon - 1982 Jackie Gibson Marathon in Johannesburg


Finishing his 1st Comrades Marathon in 1985


The last race we ran together – 1999 Skukuza Half Marathon. That’s me in red with my brother and his wife between me and our dad.

Good times!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Johann,
Happy 80th birthday to your dad!! What a wonderful tribute to him and his 80 years of influence on you. I love the pictures and cheers to a great man who still enjoys a good glass of wine:) Bless his heart!

Have a great day Johann!!

Christina said...

Wow! 80 years old. I only hope that when I'm that old that I'm as admired by others and as active as your dad. You know what would be cool is getting another picture of the 4 of you today and framing the 2 next to each other.

ajh said...

Awesome family picture!

Running Through Life said...

Great post! Happy Birthday to your father. What amazing photos. He was on the forefront of running as we know it today.

Quinton J said...

awesome...just awesome. I can't imagine how great it would be to run a marathon with family.

Quinton J said...

awesome...just awesome. I can't imagine how great it would be to run a marathon with family.